Weekly Opinion: Cyberbullying

You have watched the movie, Adina’s Deck Episode 1: Skye’s Cyber Bullying Mystery and now it’s time to think about what you saw and offer your opinions on some things:

1. What is cyber bullying?
  2. Often when people are bullied online or via text messages they don’t tell their parents or other adults about it. Why do you think this is the case?
  3. If you were being bullied online or via text messages, what are some things you could do?
  4. What do you think could happen to you if you were bullying someone online or via text messages?
  5. Do you think that being bullied online has more, less or the same effect as being bullied in person? Why do you feel that way?

Think about these questions and then reply to this post and answer them in complete sentences.

14 thoughts on “Weekly Opinion: Cyberbullying

1. Being bullied through technology.

They think their parents will become too involved.

I would ignore them.

I would be sorry.

I think cyber bulling has less of an effect because you are not getting physically hurt.

• Your answer to question #1 is not a full sentence. Question #4 was asking about consequences if you were bullying, not about how you would feel.

2. 1) Cyber bullying is bullying someone online or sending them mean text messages. 2) They might think their parents will do something they don’t might not want them to do. 3) Tell an adult and my parents. 4) I could get in trouble and my parents would be mad. 5) The same thing, it’s just as bad and your feelings could be hurt either way.

3. 1. Cyber bullying is being mean to others on the internet.
    2. They don’t want to get in trouble at school or get grounded.
    3. Tell my parents or a teacher.
    4. I would get in trouble because they might tell on me or my parents could find it.
    5. The same, because bullying hurts either way.

• Cyber bulling is not just on the Internet. It also applies to phones and playing games like Xbox Live. The answer to #5 is not a full sentence.

4. 1. Getting bullied trough a technology
    2. There parents will probably take away there phone.
    3. Tell your parents or teacher.
    4. You might be arrested.
    5. The same thing because they are still bulling you.

• Make sure you proofread your work. Your answer to #1 is not a full sentence and it should be “through” not “trough”. On question #2, “there” should be “their”. For question #4, as we discussed, most people aren’t arrested so what else could happen if you cyber bullied someone? On question #5, you misspelled bullying.

5. Cyber bullying is when people are being bullied throughout any type of technology. People don’t tell adults because they don’t want parents to tell other people or they don’t want to get in trouble. If I were being cyber bullied I would definitely tell my parent/guardian. First of all, I would never bully anyone online or in person. But if I were, I could get in serious trouble. I think it has a different effect because you may not know who is bullying you online.

• In your first sentence, the word “throughout” should be “through”. If you did know who was doing the bullying online, would the effect of it be the same or different than bullying face-to-face?

6. Cyber Bullying is when a person is calling, texting, or posting stuff online. I think the reason some kids don’t tell there parents is because they want them to make a big deal out of it. If I was being cyber bullied I would tell my parents and talk to my friends if they know who it is. If I was bullying someone online. I think I would get expelled. Also I would never do that. I think that getting bullied in person is different than getting bullied online, because you don’t know who it is. That way you are more scared.

• Ciena, in your first sentence, you said that a person is “calling, texing, or posting stuff online.” So if I posted that I liked a certain singer online is that cyber bullying? What kind of stuff?

7. 1. People bully other people in text messages or online or on the phone.
    2. The don’t want to tell their parents because they don’t want them to get all up in it.
    3. You could not answer the phone, ignore them, tell your parents about it, or go to an adult and tell them.
    4. They could commit suicide or just be really hurt.
    5. Not the same because if it was on the computer you would not know who it is.

8. Dakota, question #4 asked about what could happen to you if you were being a bully. The answer you gave was about what might happen to the person you were bullying. What could happen to you?

You answer for #5 is not a fully sentence and you may know who it is on the computer or your phone; you might not but you could know who it is.